Dark Chocolate Mousse is a classic dessert for a reason. It’s rich and decadent yet impossibly light and dreamy. This recipe features a combination of unsweetened chocolate and espresso to create a layered and deeply intense flavor that perfectly compliments the smooth and buttery cream. The airy texture is created by whipping both heavy cream and egg whites. This delicious recipe is worthy of any special occasion, especially Valentine’s Day.
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2.5 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- ¼ cup strong coffee or espresso
- Set up a double boiler. Fill the bottom half of a double boiler with water until just below contact with the top half of the boiler. Bring to medium-high heat.
- Separate egg yolks from the whites and set aside the whites. Add egg yolks, coffee, and 3 tablespoons of sugar to the top of the double boiler and whisk continuously until mixture has reached the temp of 160 degrees fahrenheit.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until chocolate has melted and is incorporated. Set aside to cool to room temp.
- Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks. Set aside. Whip egg whites to soft peaks. Add remaining one tablespoon of sugar and whip to stiff peaks. Fold the eggs whites into the room temperature chocolate mixture to incorporate.
- Add whipped cream to the mixture and stir until combined. Separate into 4-6 small serving bowls or glasses. Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.
- Enjoy chilled with optional additional whipped cream or chocolate shavings.
Maddie is a Minneapolis-based recipe developer and food photographer with a background in Food Engineering and Nutrition. Maddie utilizes her scientific understanding of food to create delicious recipes that are worth repeating. When she’s not experimenting in her kitchen, she’s exploring new cities around the world or fostering pups to help them adjust to the good life and find their forever homes! You can find more of Maddie’s work (and follow her cute fosters) on Instagram or maddieaugustin.com.