Grilled Shrimp and Avocado Salad
There’s no time or place this dish doesn’t work. It’s great for a picnic lunch, a quick weeknight dinner, a plated salad course, or a centerpiece for a light summertime brunch buffet. That sort of versatility – not to mention the ease of preparation – makes this recipe one you’ll keep repeating all summer long.
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Alsatian white wine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 large Hass avocados, thickly sliced
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, cores and seeds removed and thickly sliced
- ½ medium red onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
Mix olive oil, white wine, garlic, shallot, parsley and pepper in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag. Add shrimp and toss; marinate for 2-4 hours, tossing again midway.
For salad, gently toss all of the other ingredients in a large bowl and allow to marinate at room temperature until ready to serve.
Heat grill to high. Remove shrimp from marinade and thread onto skewers, and grill till pink and slightly charred.
Divide salad between four plates and top with grilled shrimp. Garnish with additional chopped parsley and serve immediately.