Makes 4 demitasse servings
6 tblsp. 73.5% El Rey chocolate shaved and tightly packed
2 tblsp. 58.5% El Rey chocolate shaved and tightly packed
1 teaspoon La Maison du Chocolat cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1/8 tsp. pure vanilla extract (preferably made with vodka)
1/3 cup organic milk
1/3 cup organic half and half
1 tsp. cold butter
1. Combine shaved chocolate, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, milk and half and half in heavy bottom saucepan.
2. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat while whisking continuously.
3. When boiling starts, continue to whisk for ten seconds and immediately remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
4. Whisk the cold butter in the mixture until it is completely melted and gives a glossy sheen to the hot chocolate.
5. Let chocolate rest for at least 5 minutes (or preferably overnight to maximize the flavor), gently reheat till warm, not boiling. Strain and serve.